Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cops Have Fun Too....

One of the funniest things that's ever happened to me on the job was the time I was flagged down by a citizen regarding a hit and run collision. Occasionally we'll tool around on the outskirts of our neighbor city, technically not really within our own city you know? I was taking part in said "tooling" when I noticed a car sitting in the middle of a busy street. As I approached, the driver of the car got out and waved frantically at me. What could I do? I stopped to help.

The driver told me "this big ass truck" ran a stop sign and plowed right into her vehicle. Nobody was injured so I radioed dispatch to send the neighboring police agency out for a report, since it was their jurisdiction after all.

So, the other cop shows up and starts trying to "sweep it under the rug" so to speak. No vehicle description, no driver description, no direction of flight. He tells the victim driver that there's no point in taking a report because there's no information and it's not likely the suspect driver or vehicle will ever be found.

This really torqued me off, so I started looking around and, lo and behold, what do I find in the middle of the street right in front of the victim vehicle? A bumper! I flipped that bumper over and pointed out the license plate that was firmly bolted to it! The other cop was pretty heated.

I was satisfied, so I got back in my patrol car and left. I laughed all the way back to my beat.

You know, I actually kinda' hope that cop finds this someday. You know who you are.

No comments: