Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oh Yeah, That Reminds Me...

My previous post reminded me of another one on my MANY pet peeves. I hate it when I am working a traffic post, and I have a street closed off, and someone tries to drive around me. I mean, come on now, how stupid do you have to be?

Imagine a police car sitting across the traffic lane with lights blazing, a line of flares spread across the intersection, and one pissed off looking cop waving frantically for you to turn to the right and keep moving.

The reason I'm reminded of this is because of one particular incident. We had a pretty horrendous crash in our city. I was working the above described traffic post and this old fart drove around me and my patrol car, across the flares, and tried to drive down the street. Fire hose be damned.

I was yelling and hollering for him to stop, but he was oblivious. So what did I do? I used the closest item at my disposal and whacked the trunk of his car with my flashlight. Well, that got his attention and he stopped. As I was standing at his window telling him to get out of my scene, his wife was busy yelling at me from the passenger seat that I almost made her have a heart attack. My response was "That makes two of us!" She was still glaring at me as they drove away.

In retrospect, I should've cited him. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight.

No comments: