Thursday, October 4, 2007

Speaking of TASERs.....

I'm getting a bit tired of all the negative press about Tasers. The ACLU and NAACP, nearly always critics of law enforcement in general, decry Tasers as "lethal weapons" and claim Tasers have killed people.

I was VOLUNTARILY exposed to a Taser when I was trained to use one. Over 100,000 police officers have been VOLUNTARILY exposed to Tasers during such training. How many of these officers have died from Taser exposure? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Not a single one. Also notice I said and emphasized the word VOLUNTARILY!

The difference? We weren't high on Cocaine, PCP, methamphetamine, or some other drug, and we weren't fighting the police. Research by several organizations has shown that Tasers do not cause death. If you want to know why people die, look up Excited Delirium.

Tasers save lives. If I gave you the option of being shot (which would likely kill or severely injure you), or being exposed to a Taser (which is 99.9% likely to gain your compliance without causing any more injury than the two small puncture holes from the probes), which would you choose.

I for one would rather take a five second cycle from a Taser than be pepper sprayed again. Neither one is very comfortable, but when the Taser is done, it's over. Pepper spray lasts for several minutes up to several hours.

But don't ask the "civil rights" organizations to listen to reason. Some people are not happy unless they have something to bitch about. I, on the other hand, am done bitching. And I feel better. Hmph!

No comments: