Wednesday, November 14, 2007

But, I Wasn't Going That Fast...

About half of the people I have stopped for speed violations this week have firmly informed me that they simply could not have been going as fast as I said they were. They all insisted they had looked at their speedometers and they were mysteriously going up to 10 miles per hour slower than I claimed.

I'm not sure why people think that arguing with the radar is going to change anything. And then they never want to look at the radar. They just insist that it's wrong.

We have a curvy, hilly, backwoods road with a speed limit of 25 miles per hour. The speed limit is in place for good reason. This road is chock full of blind curves, blind crests and blind intersections. I locked an elderly gentleman (and I use the term gentleman VERY loosely there) at 46 in this 25 zone. When I stopped and contacted him, he told me he had looked at his speedometer and he was doing 25.

As I told this "gentleman", I would not have even pointed my radar at him if I thought he was going slower than 35 miles per hour. I offered to show him his speed locked on my radar. He declined, but continued to insist he was only doing 25 miles per hour. I haven't lost any of these in court, and I really don't expect to lose that one either.

I just can't figure why people want to argue. If anything, they are talking their way INTO a ticket, rather than out of one. Geez, I'm getting almost as tired of writing about these people, as I am of dealing with them. I think I better find something different to write about tomorrow night. Otherwise, my faithful readers might get just as tired of READING about it.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

lol. Some of the excuses people come up with and the denial stories are entertaining, to say the least. But, it does get old, day in and day out of people using the same line, "My speedometer is broken. I swear, I was going the speed limit!" Uh, yeah right.....I doubt THAT many people all have broken speedometers IN BRAND NEW SPORTS CARS!!! *rolling my eyes*

Officer "Smith" said...

And if their speedometer was broken... how exactly would they know they were doing the speed limit? Carpool lane excuses are almost as entertaining.

Front Porch Society said...

Exactly!! Apparantly there are a lot of low IQ drivers out there.