Sunday, November 11, 2007

Nurses and Medics and Docs, Oh My!

I stopped a nurse yesterday. I don't like to cite nurses, or paramedics, or doctors, or firefighters, or other cops. I had to cite her though. She did something so dangerous that she had to be cited. She totally understood, and she was very pleasant about the whole thing. She even told me I would be irresponsible not to cite her.

After she signed the cite and I gave her her copy, we began talking about our respective professions. We both decided we have tons of respect for the other profession, and we don't think we could do the other's job.

It takes a very special kind of person to be a nurse, firefighter, paramedic or cop. I don't think I am a special person, but then again, who does think such things about themselves. I have immense respect for all people in these professions. These people have to deal with things every day, that most people will never see in a lifetime.

Nurses see people in the most difficult times of their lives. They have to care, but not become emotionally attached. They have to put all of their prejudices, dislikes, and preconceptions aside and save some stranger from the clutches of death, no matter who that person may be.

Firefighters run into burning buildings to save people, then they go back in to put the fire out. They risk their own lives, for the lives and property of people they know nothing about. That house might be full of murderers, drug dealers or thieves, but it doesn't matter. We coppers may give the hose draggers a ton of shit, but in reality, I admire them for what they do.

Paramedics drive into the heart of the ghetto, the crappiest parts of town, to save the gang banger who just got shot by some other gang banger. These guys and gals go into places of town, unarmed, that I don't even like to go into armed. Not to mention, they are some bitchin' drivers. There's something about the sight of those big ass ambulances taking a turn on two wheels.

Then there are the cops. Most people run away from gunfire... we run toward it. Normal people shy away from a fight... we relish it. The average person doesn't carry a single gun... I have three to five guns of various types and calibers at my disposal at any given time. Cops aren't special, or brave, or any such thing. We're just freakin' loopy. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

4 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

lol. Yes, we are a bit loopy, aren't we?! ;) And perhaps a bit of adrenaline junkies. ;)
Really enjoyed this post. :)

Mrs. "Smith" said...

Be loopy. Just keep coming home...in one whole piece, ok?

Officer "Smith" said...

Yes, dear.

Liz said...

Listen to your wife.

I have a friend who used to be a paramedic. He has a post on his blog about two little kids who died in a fire. It's awful (his blog is lagniappe's lair). I have a lot of respect for the firefighters and paramedics to. They've got a tough job.