Saturday, December 27, 2008

¿Qué dijiste? (Say what?)

While driving on the freeway today, I saw a bumper sticker that made me wonder. It looked like a San Francisco Giants sticker.



It had the same colors as a San Francisco Giants sticker. It had the same font as a San Francisco Giants sticker. But there was a problem.

It said Gigantes.


When did one of our local teams change their name? I mean, I knew the park changed names. It started as Pac Bell Park, then became SBC park, then AT&T park. But I didn't know the team name changed too.

I suppose next I'll see a bumper sticker with the same font and colors as a Golden State Warriors sticker, but it'll say "Gurreros del Estado de Oro".

Or a green and yellow sticker that says "Atletismo de Oakland"

Every day I feel more and more like I'm in Mexico...

6 comments:

Berserk said...

¿Cómo se llama una persona quien habla una lengua solamente? Americano. O sino mexicano...

Seriously, though, this kind of thing drives me up the wall. I took a shoplift report the other day, and the loss prevention officer didn't speak a single word of english. I usually don't even talk to the suspect on calls like that other than to give them the opportunity to lie about their name, but in this case I got more info from him than I did from my RP!

Anonymous said...

It was kie that living and working in and aroud Miami. It looked and sounded like Cuba.

TheBronze said...

You are in Mexico. Norte Mexico, that is.

Fuzzy's Dad, very true. I remember being amazed at seeing girls that I thought were White and then all of a sudden breaking out speaking in Spanish/Cuban.

BTW, my word verification is "unica". Very Spanish sounding, no? Coincidence? I think not...

Miss T.C. Shore said...

I've noticed many food items in the grocery store now have spanish writing on the, as well. I feel very strongly that if someone wants to come here to live, they should speak the language.

Murphy's Law said...

Many courts in the our area now have every sign reprinted in Spanish too. Not sure what the point of that is, as the last place that the typical illegal alien defendant is going to be at on his or her court date is in court.

5150Wife said...

You ARE living in Mexico more and more every day. And it's ok because anything less would not be "tolerant" or accepting of "diversity".

Thus the reason the intolerant, undiversified 5150Family moved away 8 years ago.