Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Brad Moody's Heart...

I'm sure all of my regular readers, and probably my newer readers as well, have noticed the memorials prominently displayed along the right hand edge of my blog. I do my best to not let anyone forget the sacrifices of our brother officers.

Dave and Kim Funk have gone one better and started a blog in memory of Brad Moody, encouraging all of us to become organ donors.


For those who don't know, Brad saved lives even in death. He made the decision to register as an organ donor, and his heart is still beating today, almost one year after the rest of him is gone. Oakland PD Officer John Hege made the same decision, and saved at least three lives after his death.

For most of my life I thought "I want to stay in one piece when I go". The sacrifices of my brothers have slowly changed my mind.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan on ever actually having the opportunity to donate my organs. What I mean by that is I don't plan on ever being shot, or on ever crashing my car into a pole. I'm sure Brad and John didn't plan on it either.

As hard as we all try to stay safe, healthy and alive...

Shit happens.

I'll make it simple for you, so you won't have any excuses.

Register here...

6 comments:

TheBronze said...

Smitty,

I've proudly been on the organ donor list for a long time and on the Nat'l Marrow Registry for the past 2 or 3 years, after a little boy name Trevor Kott prompted me to do it. Look up his name.

marrow.org

Great post.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. I had a cousin who died in his early 30's while waiting for organ transplantation. I've been a donor since I was 18 and my family has clear instructions to use whatever they can for someone else. It's also in my will too just in case.

Unknown said...

I heard criminals in prison are on the list for organs. Is there a way to guarantee some dirtbag in prison doesn't get my heart?

Front Porch Society said...

I am an organ donor. I made the decision about 5 years ago.

Moe said...

I thought the same way as you did. Then, for some reason, I felt like I had to change it to donor when I last renewed my license. No real motivation, just a feeling.

callygirl said...

I am a good friend of Brad Moody's widow, Susan. Also, my son is an Oakland,Ca SWAT cop, and was present on that awful day in March when his brothers in blue fell! Unfortunately, Brad's heart recipient survived for only 2 mos after the transplant, but lung, pancreas, and liver recipients are doing well!
To all police officers, everywhere, I salute you and beg you to stay safe! PLEASE buckle up, even on Code 3s!!!! Only takes a second to unlatch!