Sunday, August 31, 2014

Liar, Liar, Pants on... Wait, I Think I Already Used That Title...

It would appear that I have neglected my poor blog since before Christmas.  I suppose that would be what happens when I'm paying attention to other aspects of life.

Anywho, let's talk about a scenario.  This is all purely hypothetical, I assure you.

So, let's say, for instance, that you are driving your car on a public roadway in the "wonderful" State of California.  Let's also, still hypothetically of course, say you happen to have your cell phone in your hand, and you're tapping frantically at the screen.

Are you with me so far?

Now, let's imagine that a local copper rides up to the right side of your car and watches through your right rear window, from about 7 feet away (give or take a foot or two), as you continue to tap merrily away on the cell phone screen.  The officer can clearly see the keyboard you are tapping on.  In fact, from that distance the officer can actually see the characters appearing on the screen as you type.

Suppose, now, that the officer watches as you tap approximately 150 characters into your phone.

When the officer pulls you over and explains that he is stopping you for a violation of the texting law because he just sat seven feet away from your driver seat and watched you tap a hundred plus times on your cell phone keyboard, why should it even occur to you that it would be a good idea to lie about it and say "I was only checking the time.  I'm late for work"?

Also, why would you think the officer should not have been looking in your window to see the violation in the first place?

I'm thoroughly confused, hypothetically of course.

Comments.

Go...

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Was he an Egyptian because it sounds like he was in denial.
Great to see you're back.

Officer Tex said...

I'm guessing that it's due to the fact that people, in general, are stupid.

Officer "Smith" said...

He was middle eastern, but I don't think he was Egyptian. The de-Nile part is pretty accuracte though.

Thanks Jay.