Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Of Men and Boys...

A man doesn't run away when he hears the words "stage IV cancer".

A man is not afraid to wear pink.

A man will hold his wife's purse and doesn't give a tinker's damn what anybody else thinks.

A man will hold his wife's hair while she pukes her guts up.

A man will brush her hair to make her feel better after puking.

A man will love her even when all her hair falls out.

I have heard of many "men" recently who have left their significant other when faced with her cancer diagnosis, and I just don't get it.  How can you claim to love someone, then leave when she is facing the most difficult time of her life?

Yes, it IS difficult to live with someone who is dealing with cancer, chemotherapy, pain, nausea and myriad other health effects all day, every day.  But that's what you signed up for when you said "I do".

And don't give me the line about "I wouldn't expect her to hang around if I had cancer."

Bullshit.

If you can't be troubled to comfort your wife and support her through her treatment until she is either healthy again, or God forbid, gone...

You are not allowed to call yourself a man.

Man card revoked...

1 comment:

Geno said...

Eight years ago my wife died after brain radiation, chemo and all that goes with it. I was also there. I never thought I would find someone else but another widow needed me and together we will do this life thing. There will never be a replacement but I will not have to do this alone either. God bless you officer.