Wednesday, October 3, 2007

If You Wanna Dish it Out, You'd Better be Able to Take it...

The things I carry on my belt: Gun with holster and extra magazines, two pairs of handcuffs, expandable baton, keys, OC pepper spray, radio, flashlight, Taser and holster.

I have been exposed to every weapon on my belt before I have used them on anyone else. I have been handcuffed countless times, in training of course! I have been sprayed with pepper spray, NOT FUN! I have been zapped with a Taser. I have even been shot, albeit not with a real bullet (we were shot with Simunitions in the academy, and they friggin' hurt). I got whacked with a wood baton once too, by accident.

Officers are not required to be exposed to these things most of the time, but I figure if I'm going to subject someone to these things, I need to know what it feels like. I also now know the limitations of each weapon firsthand. Now don't get me wrong, I don't plan on letting someone shoot me with real bullets just so I can carry a gun. Even I am not stupid.

My point is this. If I ever use these things on someone and I get asked in court if i know what effect they have, I can answer with an emphatic YES, because I have felt them firsthand.

No comments: